February 24, 2017

"Jessica's Monet #8"

"Jessica's Monet #8"
Acrylic on Canvas
11 X 14
Commissioned

This piece was delightful to recreate. Commissions can be nerve wracking, but I so enjoy Monet's work that this would've been one I would've chosen to paint for my own pleasure eventually. His pieces make you feel the weather. You can almost smell the air. The sea is probably just past the horizon. I can picture the cliffs Monet loved to paint and can even hear the waves crashing against them. Makes me really want to go to the beach!

The piece I referenced for this commission is called "Woman With a Parasol" or in typical Monet form (and other painters of the time) otherwise know as "Study of a Figure Outdoors (Facing Left)". I have to admit this latter name made me giggle a little. He seems to make sure there is no emotion brought into the painting through the name in any way, Which, I do admit, I appreciate greatly. Many modern artists give lavish or 'deeply thought through' names to their paintings... Monet operates free from emotion and sentiment which isn't found much today. And yet his paintings are full of feelings and thoughts and energy. I'm glad he left the emotion within the painting itself and allows the viewer to pull it all out on their own! This small thing makes me appreciate his work that much more... and is why you see me naming my work in a similar way...  Jessica's Monet #1, #2, #3 etc. , "Sailboats"... ha! Doesn't get much simpler than that.

I hope you enjoyed seeing and reading a little more about this and I hope you pull from my work some small pleasure and nostalgia as I greatly pull it from Monet's work and from the process of recreating his work for others to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment