May 13, 2016

WGC Raising the Bar


WGC Raising the Bar is a Rocky Mountain stallion owned by Myranda Elliot. I had the great pleasure to paint a picture of her beautiful horse and here it is for you all to see! Myranda took some stunning photographs of her horse and since I am an avid horse enthusiast (specifically Rockies), I asked her if I could use them to paint from! She agreed (yay!) and this is the result!

I must say that this was a challenge; both because my skills are still being honed, but also because these horses are very important to me. I grew up near a Rocky Mountain horse farm and had the opportunity to work with them and train them. Most of what I know about horses has been from my work at Cedar Grove Farm in Peacham, Vermont. It was important to me that this painting present these horses in a beautiful and true way. Luckily I had a fantastic photography to work from!

I no longer work with horses at this time. Military life is hard on animal ownership, so it is on the back burner for now, but being able to paint them gave me such joy! It's certainly not the same as being able to run a brush over them, smell the hay, oats, and grain in the barn, or watch them learn something new as a result of careful thought and teaching.. It's definitely not like being able to feel the rush and the power while racing across a field or hear the cadence of the four-beat gait Rockies are famous for; but it was wonderful to have a connection of some kind. One that will be on my wall for awhile (until it sells). =) But that is the joy of painting! I will simply have to make more!

I hope you enjoy this too! I would love to hear your thoughts! And if you are interested in my work or would like to purchase a painting or commission one, check out the rest of this site or contact me at jess.hooser@gmail.com!


WGC Raising the Bar
Acrylic on Canvas
16 X 20


WGC Raising the Bar
Photo by Myranda Elliot
http://coppercreekfarm.webs.com/


For more, follow us on Facebook! Creations By Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment