May 17, 2016

CGF Absolutely Incredible



 I have made mention to my horse past by referencing the farm I worked at: Cedar Grove Farm in Peacham, Vermont. I have given a little information about my experiences there, but I don't think I could ever express the depth of the effect this place had on me while growing up. Probably one of the most beautiful places in Peacham (though I may be biased).

Mike and Kathy Hartong are wonderful people who gave me such an opportunity! I was taught how to take care of horses and how to train them from the day they were born, forward. I was shown the immense responsibility it took to care for these breath-taking animals. I was given the freedom to build my skills and the trust to work with their wonderful horses on an almost daily basis.

One of my earlier experiences training was with a young stallion named CGF Absolutely Incredible or better known as "Able". At almost 17, I had never handled a stallion, but as a two-year-old, he hadn't come into himself yet. He was so sweet, and still is! Not to mention stunning from head to toe. I'm not sure any of us realized how beautiful and gentle he would be or the stunning offspring he would produce.

One particular ride, probably when he was a three or four year-old, I remember feeling that 'stallion' power kick in. I had never experienced a horse show me his immense ability and power while being so gentle. He kicked into gear better than he had ever gone for me and I was blown away by the trust these animals have for the humans that work with them! I remember pulling him from his gait into a halt and just sitting there trying to catch my breath while marveling at the fact that I had such an existence that any young girl would give their right arm for! I knew how blessed I was and I am forever grateful!

He is the first stallion I had ridden. The first one I had helped train. One of the first Rocky Mountain Horses I fell in love with and has given me the desire to own, raise, and train for myself. For now, I can show my love of the Rocky Mountain Horse by putting them on canvas and hopefully showing others how magnificent they are!

Mike and Kathy, thank you for giving a young girl, you didn't know, a chance of a lifetime! Thank you for letting me use your beautiful photography in my work! I miss you and the horses, but am so glad for all I learned working for and with you both! Hopefully I will get the chance to visit again soon!

Here is my newest venture: CGF Absolutely Incredible


"CGF Absolutely Incredible"
Acrylic on Canvas
16 X 20

Photo by Cedar Grove Farm

For more, Like Creations By Jess on Facebook!



3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jess. We enjoyed your time with us. Good luck with your new enterprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete